I was leaving a comment in seasoned-sister.blogspot.com/. Her post today was about Veterans Day. As I was writing a LONG comment I was reminded by so many things. I went to a military college so several of my friends from college are military families. Even though I do not keep up with them on a regular basis I always think of them and their sacrifices.
- I remember visiting a special friend in Ft. Hood before her husband was deployed in Desert Storm.
- I remember several of us hanging a huge American flag over our college apartment banister during Desert Storm.
- I remember us checking our campus mailboxes hoping to get letters from friends who were deployed. This was all before email and cell phones.
- I remember stopping whatever I was doing at 5:00 to salute the flag. We would even get out of our cars to salute the flag. Rain or shine.
- I remember hearing taps every night before I went to bed.
- I remember waking up to the military guys marching by my dorm.
Many of those friends went on to serve the military after college. Oh I forgot to tell you....I was not in the military program. Just did not think army green was my color!
I think of my grandfather who served in WWII and did not see my dad until he was 2 years old. I think of my mom's past boss who served as a physician in Vietnam.
And I think of all who are serving now to keep the bad guys away (as my daughter would say).
So thank you, thank you, thank you for those who have served or who are serving.



2 comments:
You're welcome to write on my blog anytime! But I loved reading yours too!
Hey girl....i love the new header! turned out nicely...i still have to post something on mine! ha...
thanks for the beautiful post--loved learning more about you.
take care!
Post a Comment